This delicious keto pizza is perfect if you are missing pizza since starting a low carb, keto diet. It will totally hit the spot and help you stay in ketosis because one slice has only 3g carbs.
What is Fathead Keto Pizza?
A keto pizza recipe that it’s even better than the regular. This low carb pizza with fathead dough crust is so similar to the classic pizza, and it’s made without any wheat flours! No one can feel the difference between our gluten-free pizza and the real one.
The keto pizza crust with almond flour has only 4 ingredients, and it’s ready in less than 15 minutes.
The fathead dough is a brilliant base for many keto recipes that need some sort of dough. You can even make keto bagels with it, and they turn out unbelievably tasty and low in carbs.
Fathead Dough is usually gluten-free, low in carbs and very filling, making it great for a keto diet. You can use this low carb pizza crust as a keto bread substitute for sandwiches.
I love to make fathead dough because it’s so versatile and you’ll be surprised to see that the main ingredient is mozzarella. You can even make sweet keto snacks using this dough.
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, shredded, part skim
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
How to make the low carb pizza crust?
Once you master the art of making keto fathead dough, you’ll want to use it in so many recipes. So grab all the ingredients and start working on this masterpiece.
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
- To make the dough combine the mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and the softened cream cheese in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and a half and stir halfway to make sure all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Use a spatula to stir in the beaten egg.
- Use your hands, preferably oiled to knead the dough into a ball, for about 2 minutes.
- Spread the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper using a rolling pin and an additional piece of parchment paper on top if needed.
- Roll until the dough, add the toppings and bake for another few minutes.
- Enjoy a healthy keto pizza!
How many carbs are in the fathead dough?
Given the fact that the ingredients are low in carbs including the almond flour, the nutrition for a serving of the dough (without any toppings, 1/6 of the whole recipe):
- Total Carbohydrate 5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5g
- Net carbs 3.5 g
- Calories 202.2 kcal
- Protein 11.3 g
- Fat 16.4 g
The serving size of this keto pizza is 2 slices, but sometimes I feel so full after the first one that I have to keep it for a snack or have it for dinner. The main benefit of making pizza with a mozzarella dough is that it’s very filling and satisfying.
Can I make the fathead dough with coconut flour?
Substituting the almond flour in this recipe with coconut flour is possible. If you want to make the pizza with a low carb coconut flour dough, you’ll have to add an extra egg and use 1/3 cup coconut flour instead of the almond flour.
I love that no matter what kind of nut flour you are using the taste is similar and nutrition facts slightly change.
What can I do if the dough is too sticky?
This often happens if the eggs are a bit larger if the almond flour is not fine grounded or if the cheese. There are a few tricks you can use to make sure your dough turned out perfect.
- If the dough looks watery add an extra tbsp of almond flour and try kneading the dough.
- To keep the dough sticking to your hands grease your hand with some olive oil.
- To make the dough easy to work with, chill the dough in the fridge.
- You can reheat the dough if the cheese hardens quickly to make it easier to knead.
How long should I bake the keto pizza crust?
Depending on how thin you roll the crust, the baking time may vary, and you should always keep an eye on it, poke the bubbles (if any). The keto pizza crust bakes way faster than the regular one. It is usually ready for adding toppings after about 7-10 minutes.
What toppings can I use on my keto pizza?
When it comes to low carb pizza toppings people are very picky. I love my pizza as in the pictures, with tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni slices and small bites of red pepper. Feel free to add low carb vegetables, olives, different kind of meats and any other toppings you like.